Monday, September 4, 2017

Copyright & Confidentiality

If I was going to create this leaflet manually I know it would take much longer than by using a computer. I would have to draw out all of the images I wanted to use, and write out all my text by hand. Not only is this tedious but my handwriting is quite messy so the leaflet wouldn't look very good and it definitely wouldn't look as professional as if I used a computer. If I made a mistake I would have to start all over again because I wouldn't be able to erase my mistake. I would have to take my time when colouring in my images so that it didn't look like a toddler had scribbled over my leaflet.

The images wouldn't have the same desired effect as if I had got them from the Internet, because the fact that I had drawn the images would make them look more like cartoons and that is not the effect I wanted for my leaflet because it wouldn't seem lifelike and realistic. Poverty does actually exist in the real world and I want my leaflet to help people understand that. SECTION 8 - Copyright & Confidentiality It's against the law to copy information without the permission of whoever owns the information. It is also against the law to write about a particular person's private life without their permission.
The owner of the needed information can give you a licence if you contact them and ask for one. I haven't written about any particular people in my leaflet so the confidentiality rule doesn't apply to me. All the information and images in my leaflet was either taken from the Oxfam website or my paper based research which was an official Oxfam leaflet. I derived any text that I used and tried not to use too much of the text straight from the source. I also acknowledged my sources, so I am not trying to pretend that the information I found on the Oxfam website of leaflet is my own.
If I were going to print out many copies of my leaflet and give them to people I would need to ask Oxfam for their permission first. I emailed Oxfam to ask if they would mind if I used some of their information and facts in my GCSE project and they said they didn't mind. This means I have permission from the people who own all the information about Oxfam and I am not going against the law by copyrighting the material. SECTION 9 - Error Handling and Virus Protection I used google Internet searches to find all my information about Oxfam.
The searches gave me immediate, accurate results. I used the spellchecker to check for any spelling or grammatical errors and asked my parents to proofread my work ad sign it. After my parents had proof read my leaflet I had to make sure that I corrected all of the mistakes. I also had to reformat all the numbers in my leaflet on the page maker; for example, I changed the word 'three' to the number 3. Occasionally an error message would pop up saying "This computer has performed and illegal operation and will be shut down".
Whenever this happened I asked my teacher for help to see what I had done wrong, but usually it was the fact that I had too many programs open at once and the system couldn't cope with the strain. I only had to as the technician for help once and that was because my computer screen kept on freezing. He restarted the computer and told me to use another machine. I understand that computers can be very fragile things so I treat them with care and respect, for example I don't hit the keys on the keyboard exceptionally hard because I know it will damage it.
I don't interfere with the keys on the front of the monitor because I know I could damage the monitor by doing that. I tried not to crash the computer, as I am well aware that this can seriously damage the monitor, the only time my machine crashed was when the technician restarted it. The name of the anti-virus software on this system is Sophos anti-virus. It is very important to have updated virus protection because new viruses are being designed every day and if the anti-virus software doesn't recognise a virus it won't protect the computer against it.
To prevent any viruses affecting my computer I made sure I virus checked my floppy disks every time I used them. I went on the internet a few times to retrieve much of the information I put on my leaflet and I am well aware that many viruses can be picked up on the internet. I only went on the google website and Oxfam websites. I believe that these websites should be safe because they are popular, fully established legal websites that have been scanned to prevent any viruses getting through and affecting computer systems. I used a backup system as a precaution against my original copy getting damaged in any way.
This ICT project is saved on the school's system in my ICT folder and my backup folder, it is also saved on a floppy disk which I use to take information to and from school. My backup system is nothing like the schools though. My school uses 8 magnetic tapes every week to make sure that everything on the school system is backed up to prevent loss of important data. It is very important to have a back up strategy because without one, valuable data could be lost or simply mislaid and it could mean a loss of money for some businesses. There are many different types of back up media such as: floppy disks, DVDs and magnetic tapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment